accessing a remote CUPS server

Wolfgang Jeltsch fmp0d6sw at acme.softbase.org
Mon Sep 14 16:14:03 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 14. September 2009 15:20:49 schrieb Ekkard Gerlach:
> * Wolfgang Jeltsch schrieb:
> > do you mean, I should add all remote printers I want to use by hand? This
> > is not what I want to do. I want to tell KDEPrint to use a remote CUPS
> > server instead of the local one so that I can automatically access all
> > printers provided by this server.
>
> Good luck with making all automatically. I've tried it some years ago
> and about every 3 month there was a desaster in my customers office:
> bugs in cups 1.1 made some "localhost"-queue entries in printers.conf,
> about 50 entries per second (endless loop). Real existing queues were
> delete /  destroyed, load was about 3 printing impossible, printers.conf
> about 10MB size. Stopping and restarting cups helped only about some
> minutes. The endlees loop starting again. But only about every 3 months.
> Next day all was working fine. Office with 10 employees.
>
> Nobody here or in cups newsgroup could unterstand me and reproduce the bug,
> unfortunately I deleted the printers.conf with 10MB of size.
> Since this experience I prefer switching off all automatism - and my
> customers are satisfied. May be you have more luck or you have a home
> office with no economical importance.
>
> Ekkard

Hello Ekkard,

I’m not the admin. I’m just working at a department with several printers and
a working CUPS installation on some server. And I have the right to configure
my own computer according to my wishes.

Before switching to Kubuntu and KDE 4 recently, I used Debian etch and
KDE 3.5. I configured KDE to use the CUPS server of our department instead of a
CUPS server on my local machine. This worked flawlessly!

Note that I don’t have any rights to and don’t want to modify the configuration
of the CUPS server. All I want to do is to fetch the list of printers from the
server, and send jobs to arbitrary printers via the server.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang