accessing a remote CUPS server

Ekkard Gerlach ekkardgerlach at aiai.de
Mon Sep 14 15:20:49 CEST 2009

* Wolfgang Jeltsch schrieb:

> do you mean, I should add all remote printers I want to use by hand? This is
> not what I want to do. I want to tell KDEPrint to use a remote CUPS server
> instead of the local one so that I can automatically access all printers
> provided by this server.

Good luck with making all automatically. I've tried it some years ago
and about every 3 month there was a desaster in my customers office:
bugs in cups 1.1 made some "localhost"-queue entries in printers.conf, about
50 entries per second (endless loop). Real existing queues were delete /  destroyed, load was
about 3 printing impossible, printers.conf about 10MB size. Stopping and restarting
cups helped only about some minutes. The endlees loop starting again. But only
about every 3 months. Next day all was working fine. Office with 10 employees.

Nobody here or in cups newsgroup could unterstand me and reproduce the bug,
unfortunately I deleted the printers.conf with 10MB of size.
Since this experience I prefer switching off all automatism - and my customers are
satisfied. May be you have more luck or you have a home office with no
economical importance.

Ekkard