Printing in KDE-4

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 6 23:40:13 CET 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 21:14:42 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> There is nothing in the Control Center (System Settings) and the menu item:
>
> 	System -> Printing
>
> simply crashes with the error:
>
>    File "/usr/KDE-4/bin/system-config-printer-kde", line 63, in <module>
>        import cups
> ImportError: No module named cups
>
> So, there is a need for some KPrint project no matter how small because
> there needs to be a KCM to set the print command at the minimum.  This
> could probably be added to Default Applications.

Hi,

That looks like a packaging error in your distro, you need the PyQt4, PyKDE,
PyCups, and system-config-printer packages installed for the new Printing KCM
in kdeadmin 4.2 to work.  The new Printing KCM (aka system-config-printer-kde)
is a frontend developed by Kubuntu to the system-config-printer printing
configuration backend that is now jointly developed by Red Hat, Ubuntu and
Mandriva and is shipped by most distros and is also used by Gnome.  There is
now little reason for us to develop our own management backend when there is a
community and industry consensus on a common backend.

John.