Printing in KDE-4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Feb 5 22:14:42 CET 2009

IIUC, the KDEPrint project is dead.

Well, I have a simple problem, I need to print in KDE-4

I think that I need to configure my KDE print system to do that.
Specifically, all I need to do is to enter the print command:

	lpr

somewhere like I do in GV.  However, I cannot find where to do this.
There is nothing in the Control Center (System Settings) and the menu item:

	System -> Printing

simply crashes with the error:

   File "/usr/KDE-4/bin/system-config-printer-kde", line 63, in <module>
       import cups
ImportError: No module named cups

So, there is a need for some KPrint project no matter how small because
there needs to be a KCM to set the print command at the minimum.  This
could probably be added to Default Applications.

--
JRT