kprinter with OpenOffice

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Thu Oct 25 11:23:28 CEST 2007

Stephen wrote:
> Dear Cristian
>
> Thank you for the reply.  Please forgive my ignorance but are you saying
> that the changing over from lpr to kprinter is in some way done in Open
> Office and not KDE?
>
> I ask because I was sent to KDE from an Open Office user group.

In OOo there is a special binary called "spadmin" that lets you set up
the printing system. Maybe that helps you already -- otherwise keep a
little bit of patience.

It's on my todo anyway to write a few blog entries about kprinter. One
of them was how to use it with Firefox and Thunderbird, the other one
is OOo.

Visit http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/418 after next weekend. (I can't
do it now, because I'm away from home, and have not enough time).

> Thanks in advance
>
> Stephen
>
> Cristian Tibirna wrote:
>> Le mercredi, 24 octobre 2007 15:15, Stephen a écrit :
>>
>>> Dear All
>>>
>>> I would like to use the kprinter interface with open office 2.3.
>>> kprinter is nicer.
>>>
>>> Someone posted a question on the open office mailing list and the reply
>>> was to ask the KDE people.  That person hasn't yet so I thought I would
>>> as I also want to know.
>>>
>>> How do I achieve this.
>>>

>> kprinter is a fully compatible replacement for the "lpr" command as offered by
>> the lpd and cups printing platforms. If OpenOffice allows for
>> user-configuring the printing command, then just use kprinter instead of lpr.

Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS
Infotec Deutschland GmbH  .....................  Hedelfinger Strasse 58
A RICOH Company  ...........................  D-70327 Stuttgart/Germany