Me too: "Kprinter has stopped working - Unable to startchildprintprocess"

Andrew Myers andrew.myers at fdservices.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 14:52:30 CET 2007

OK, I have looked into this a bit further.

As far as I can ascertain this is a kdeprint problem. My reasoning being
that only kdeprint is affected. I use the machine as a workhorse, and as
far as I can tell nothing else is misbehaving!

Logging in as a different user, there appears to be no printing problem.
I therefore assume that this is a problem with the user settings for my
username.

Starting with ".kde". I moved .kde and restarted my session - no print
problem.

I then systematically copied back Autostart, Desktop_Entry, Env, Share,
and Shutdown. I could still print OK.

I did nothing with Cache_hostname, Socket_hostname or Tmp_hostname, as
these are links to various temporary folders which I did not touch.

After a short time the printing packed up again. So the problem is being
recreated automatically.

Could this be something to do with MSEC resetting some permissions
incorrectly? In which case I need to know what kdeprint uses in order to
look further?

Is there any way to print from KDE programmes such as Kwrite and Kfax
without using kdeprint?

All the best

Andrew