KDE-apps does not print.

Christer Sandberg christer.sandberg at mdh.se
Mon Jul 9 20:05:08 CEST 2007

Hi,
I make a new try with the same question, in the hope that someone that that
have an idea what to do will read it this time.

I try to print to my new Samsung ML 2571N printer. This is a network printer
(I use that facility) and it supports postscript.
The problem is that the printouts from some applications always get stuck in
the printing queue. After a short time KJobViewer shows the "Held" state.
The applications that I have tested so far and shows this behaviour are Kmail,
Konqueror and Kate.
If I turn off the printer and send a job it will not get the "Held" state
until I turn on the printer.
When I print a test page from the "Printer properties" this looks fine. The
same if I print from Firefox or Gedit.
If I print from Open Office Writer the page will be transmitted to the
printer, however only the bottom left corner of the page are printed in the
upper right corner of the paper (this may be an unrelated problem).

lp, lpr and a2ps prints correctly.

I have also tested the same applications under Gnome. Except for OO Writer
(that now printed correctly) the all behaved the same under Gnome.

I am using the Cups printing system via IPP.

There is no driver for ML 2571N available in the list to select from when
installing a printer, so I downloaded a package from Samsung homepage, and
ran their setup program.
After this there turned up a 2570 driver in the list, so I installed another
printer with that driver, using the "Normal" printer installation wizard.

I get the same result from both.

/var/log/cups/error_log show this when I make an unsuccessful print:
[...]
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:15 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication
certificate not found!
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:15 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication
certificate not found!
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:15 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication
certificate not found!
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:15 +0200] PID 7950 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp) stopped
with status 1!
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:16 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication
certificate not found!
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:16 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication
certificate not found!
E [27/Jun/2007:08:14:16 +0200] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication
certificate not found!
[...]

Screenshots from my printer settings can be found here:
 http://www.idt.mdh.se/~csg/tmp/print/

I also checked the openprinting.org homepage for drivers, but I actually don't
understand what to do there. I selected 2571N came to a page saying that
driver works perfectly, clicked on "Postscript" and came to a page where I
could generate a ppd-file. Now I had to chose printer model again, but the
2571N was not available in the drop down menu. I chosed the 2550N model
instead hoping that it was almost the same. I stored the file
in /etc/cups/ppd. I also installed a new printer using what I think is this
driver, but it worked the same.

My distribution is Ubuntu 7.04
cupsys version is: 1.2.8-0

I would be very happy for any advice how to find a solution to these problems.
--
Christer