Me too: "Kprinter has stopped working - Unable to start childprintprocess"

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jan 29 18:51:19 CET 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 12:18, Goffioul Michael wrote:
	> > > Is it possible that the kdeprintd daemon (kded module)
> > isn't able to
> > > start a child process anymore? Is it possible for you to "talk"
> > > directly to the module to see if it behaves correctly?
> > > (it used to be possible with "dcop kded kdeprintd")
> >
> > Yes. I'm not at the office, but I phoned them in the
> > afternoon. They said "dcop kded kdeprintd openPassDlg root"
> > opened a password dialog.
>
> Could you try the "print" command on the kdeprintd module?
> This command has the following syntax:
>
> print(QString cmd, QStringList files, bool remove_flag)
>
> cmd: the command to execute, it could be any command
> files: a list of files that will replace any "$out" tag in the command
> remove_flag: a flag specifying if the "files" should be removed
> after command completion
>
> So, in theory, you should be able to do:
>
> print("ls -l", QStringList(), false)

I didn't quite understand how to provide the full dcop command syntax
on the command line:

 kurt@~> dcop kded kdeprintd print "ls -l" "/home/kurt/" "false"
 Not enough arguments.

 kurt@~> dcop kded kdeprintd 'print("ls -l", "/home/kurt/", "false")'
 Not enough arguments.

 kurt@~> dcop kded kdeprintd print("ls -l", /home/kurt/*, false)
 bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

 kurt@~> dcop kded kdeprintd print\("ls -l", /home/kurt/*, false\)
 parentheses do not match

Next, I tried to get it done with the GUI, kdcop. Started kdcop,
manouvered to "kded --> kdeprintd" and filled in the dialog
accordingly (command: ls -l; files: /home/kurt). This didn't do
anything else than write a "-1" into the lower white field labeled
as "Returned data type: int". I assume this just means that the
return code was "not successfull".

Last, I created a file that I could risk loosing:

  kurt@~> echo "testtesttest" > /tmp/kdeprint.txt

Then I filled in the same kdcop dialog as above accordingly
(command: ls -l; files: /tmp/kdeprint.txt; remove: enabled).

This time, the "-1" return code is the same -- but the newly
created file /tmp/kdeprint.txt was indeed removed after the
dcop call had executed!

So it looks, part of the command succeeds, and part doesn't.