Authentication to CUPS from kprinter

Helge Hansemann Helge.Hansemann at lrz-muenchen.de
Thu Sep 14 15:50:38 CEST 2006

Goffioul Michael schrieb:
>> To me it looks like that the credentials are not delivered to CUPS or
>> not in the right way. Could this be tested? (Maybe without
>> using ethereal)
>>
>> What I do not understand, what would cause kprinter to show an
>> authentication popup, like the one for konqueror, and is kprinter able
>> to do so?
>>

> Yes, it is. At least with CUPS-1.1.x. It does it by defining a callback
> into the CUPS library, which should get called by that library. As no
> password dialog pops up, it means that the callback gets not called,
> which could be caused by how kdeprint formats its initial request.
>
> At that point, it could be handy to monitor the IPP communication
> between
> kdeprint and CUPS. For people who compiles KDE themselves, this is
> possible
> by editing kdelibs/kdeprint/cups/ipprequest.cpp and setting dump_ to 1
> in
> the IppRequest contructor (look for "IppRequest::IppRequest()"). Then
> start
> the job viewer in a terminal and look at the debug output.
>
> I know I used several hacks to work around CUPS-1.1.x limitations, which
> hope have disappeared in CUPS-1.2. Those hacks might be now a problem.
> (for example, look for HAVE_CUPS_NO_PWD_CACHE in ipprequest.cpp).
>
> Michael.

Believe me or don´t believe me, today I tried from my HomeOffice with a
Laptop with the same KDE version and I think the same SuSE version and
it worked.
Popup, authentification, deleting, everything. The same server config as
yesterday.

As if nothing had happened before....
I will try to check the difference between my installation here and in
my office.

In the moment thanks to Kurt and Michael.

Greetings, Helge