Printing summit

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Wed Oct 25 05:21:18 CEST 2006

On 24 October 2006 16:38, Josef Spillner (kde-travel) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently at the FSG OpenPrinting Summit in Kentucky together with the
> OpenUsability people, FSG/OSDL and printer vendors.
>
> Since there is nobody here who directly work(s|ed) on kdeprint, we need to
> know:
> * is anyone actively working on it or intending to start doing it?

I'm the current maintainer of the kdeprint suite (libs and apps). I'm _trying
to_ work as actively as possible on the code. But not being in any way able
to spend more than meager personal time on KDE (day work completely
unrelated), I need as much help as I can get.

> * in case of maintenance problems, should we propose larger changes for a
> summer of code project or similar? (needs mentor)

I already did so, no candidate showed up.

> * is there anything important we should ask the printer people?

I was at the last summit (in April). I can't be there this time because I give
a course this autumn. There were crucial discussions last time that will be
followed up at this summit for sure. The topic that is central from KDE's
view point is the description of a common (?) printing dialog design. Ellen
Reitmeyr and Jan Muehlig from OpenUsability together with Celeste Paul had
worked on this for the last six months and I guess at this time they will
have results.

I'm highly interested in their findings and conclusions.

Our central plans for the next period are:
- porting KDEPrint (from 3.5.5 branch) to CUPS-1.3 completely (partially done
by Dirk Mueller and others);
- bringing KDEPrint up to due level in KDE-4.0 and then start implementing
what I call "version two" of the KDEPrint platform, with more support for
electronic printing (PDF etc.) and improved usability.

Thus, we are interested in everything related to CUPS advancements and to
printing through PDF.

Apart of this, the biggest question remaining, for which I look for answers
everywhere, is how to coopt more people in the printing development.

Thanks for your interest.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org