Printing summit

George Liu george.liu at ussj.ricoh.com
Wed Nov 8 00:32:16 CET 2006

One thing I would like to recommend for kprinter is to switch back to
use CUPS 1.2 PPD Parsing API.
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/api-ppd.html

According to the post
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-print&m=112616631505116&w=2 by Michael
Goffioul:

"Now, kdeprint uses its own PPD parser (which is required if you want to
support non-PPD-compliant options, like the numerical options used in
Foomatic)"

As there's been quit a lot of advances in CUPS, and CUPS now supports
custom UI types, it would be easier to maintain the code if kprinter
uses CUPS PPD parsing API.

BTW, the new Gtk+ print dialog also uses CUPS PPD parsing API. If Gtk+
printing dialog and kprinter uses the same PPD parser, consistent
printer features could be provided to end users.

WDYT?

KDE's