searchable pdf files

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 19:36:43 CET 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:08, Johannes Maier wrote:
> Hi at all,
>
> I'm wondering how to produce searchable pdf files with kprinter.

In principle you *can* do it. But it does not always work, for all
files, with all settings.

You can increase success rate by...

 a) ...not using too old versions of the software components in
    question, plus
 b) ...not using wrong settings for the kprinter "Print to PDF"
    virtual printer.

Which version of Ghostscript do you have installed on your system?

Which kprinter "Driver Settings" for the PDF generation did you use?

What sort of input file did you feed to kprinter? What kind of
application did you call kprinter from?

> The printing
> of pdf files genrally works fine, but they all seem to consist of pictures.
> So it isn't possible to search for information inside the pdf files for
> example with acroread. How can I change this?

* using newer Ghostscript
* using the correct settings
* choosing a PostScript as input that is "good enough"
* hacking on KDEPrint :-)

> Thanks in advance,
> Johannes

Cheers,