searchable pdf files

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Wed Mar 22 13:38:28 CET 2006

On 22 March 2006 07:08, Johannes Maier wrote:
> Hi at all,
>
> I'm wondering how to produce searchable pdf files with kprinter. The
> printing of pdf files genrally works fine, but they all seem to consist of
> pictures. So it isn't possible to search for information inside the pdf
> files for example with acroread. How can I change this?

kprinter takes data from an application (most frequently in PostScript format)
and uses ghostscript to generate pdfs (converting, most frequently, ps to
pdf).

It is my understanding that in order to generate
searchable/indexed/hyperlinked pdfs, one needs a direct pdf generator, that
has to have knowledge of the raw data (as it is before the printing into
postscript). This "generator" would obviously be the initial printing
application. With Qt4/KDE4 this will possibly become more and more the case.
Yet even then, I doubt KDEPrint/kprinter will be able to do anything in
particular about this. It will remain the responsibility of the applications
that require printing.

If you want to investigate further, you will have to look at ghostscript's
capabilities and documentation.

If you find a method (using something else than ghostscript) to generate such
pdfs, it is very easy to configure kprinter to use that particular method
instead of the current one (one line in a user-configurable file).

Thank you.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org