Collaboration between KDE printing development team and Linspire

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Mon Sep 12 20:24:22 CEST 2005

Hello,

I have not had time to review everything, but in the meantime, I have
attached a patch that might be interesting.

At some point in time, samba printer scanning stopped working for
us. The kde printing scanning code works by calling nmblookup and
parsing the output (or, at least, that is how it works in 3.3.2, not
sure if it has been updated).

I modified our version to use libsmbclient instead, and it seems to be
more reliable.

The patch was lifted from the code I wrote for sharemanager,
(http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_details.php?product_id=9444&pg=specs),
so there are a few things that need to be done before it can be folded
into KDE:

(1) remove the extra cruft not needed by kdeprint

(2) reformat to match coding standard

(3) Look at the comments (especially ones starting with JAS), and
    decide if any of the issues described in the comments need to be
    addressed.

(4) Add kwallet support(?) -- this should be pretty easy. I have
    already added it to sharemanager.

Let me know if this patch is of interest to you guys, and we can go
from there.

Jeremy Shaw.