Preview option

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Nov 14 10:15:36 CET 2005

> On 5 November 2005 08:34, Roman Glebov wrote:
> > Sorry for stupid questions, but where to find the preview option ?
> > It is missing in my kprinter dialog.
>
> The preview option is automatically available in kprinter
> when the application
> that calls kprinter offers this feature. So, KDE applications
> that have a
> preview generation function implemented, will inform kprinter
> about this and
> kprinter will show the "Preview" checkbox. When this box is
> checked, kprinter
> will call the application's preview generation function.
>
> It is thus obvious that this feature is not readily available
> to non-kde
> applications. Non-kde applications would need to link to
> kdeprint library in
> order to offer such a functionality.

Preview has been disabled when using kprinter as a stand-alone program.
There are several reasons to this, one being that kprinter can sends
non-PS documents to the print spooler, making preview less useful. Also,
kprinter is able to send many files in one step, making preview less
pertinent. So there are some consistency checks to do before enabling
preview in stand-alone mode, otherwise the code is already ready to
do it.