Integration non kde applications with kdeprint]

Roman Glebov bleon at gmx.net
Sat Nov 5 17:31:36 CET 2005

 >On 5 November 2005 08:14, Roman Glebov wrote:

>>I am planning to integrate kdeprint into inkscape.
>>

>Great to hear this!
>

>>Ideas how it should be done ?
>>Sugestsions ?
>>

>Depends at what level you want to integrate. The easiest and the most obvious
>is to just configure inkscape to use the kde "kprinter" application as the
>default printing command, when available. Any application (kde or not) can do
>this, provided that its printing command is configurable.
>
>A deeper level of integration would mean, of course, linking with kdelibs, so
>that you get access to the printing API offered by the kdeprint "sublibrary".
>The printing API offers to the application a qt/kde-specific mechanism for
>generating the Postscript code that will then be sent to the printer. I know
>little of the internals of inkscape (I don't even know if it uses gtk
>throughout or mixes multiple libraries ... mind you, I should investigate,
>but I want to give you a first general answer). So, I know little about
>internals of inkscape but I guess it would require some important adaptations
>in its printing mechanisms in order to use the full power of the kdeprint
>architecture.
>
>Feel free to ask. I'm definitely interested in your work/experience, as this
>will help me see in what measure kdeprint can become a generic technology,
>cross-desktop and (eventually) cross-platform. These are long term goals for
>me, but it's good to start early ;-)
>
>Thanks for your interest.

Great ! :)

inkscape is a gtk application and iirc it has own postscript generation
mechanism.
It has no printing dialog at all at the moment. When you start printing
only a dialog appears ,where you enter print command. It is horrible for
normal users.
I want simply this application to call kprinter when it wants to print .
Also i would like
to add such things like preview .

What features does the kdeprint architecture provide ?

Print output of inkscape is very buggy at the moment, for example sizes
do not match in output compared to original or even not all elements of
a verctorbased picture are displayed, when printing as postscript.
Would kdeprint help solve it ?

Roman Glebov