Too bold fonts.

Vladimir vova-ks at yandex.ru
Fri Mar 4 18:49:07 CET 2005

On Friday 04 March 2005 13:17, Goffioul Michael wrote:
> > Thanks for you reply.
> > I have font embeding enabled.
> > I'm not expert in PostScript, but in printed document I can
> > see the line
> > %%DocumentFonts: LucidaConsole
>
> This is just font declaration, later in the prolog of the file,
> you should see the actual font embedding (or failure). Do you see
> something like that?
Later in the file I can see this:

%%BeginSetup
% Fonts and encodings used
/LucidaConsoleList [
[ /LucidaConsole 1.0 0.0 ]
  [ /LucidaConsole 1.0 0.0 ]
  [ /Courier 1.000 0.000 ]
] d
%%BeginFont: Lucida Console
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 Resource-Font
%%Copyright: Copyright ╘ 1993 Bigelow & Holmes Inc. All rights reserved.
%%Creator: Converted from TrueType by Qt
%%BeginFont: LucidaConsole
%!PS-AdobeFont-1.0 Composite Font
%%FontName: LucidaConsole-Uni
%%Creator: Composite font created by Qt

From the line "Converted from TrueType by Qt" I can guess that some font
convertions are done. Could these conversions be the source of the problem ?

Recently I've found one more detail: in the PPD file there are lines declaring
fonts such as:
*Font AvantGarde-Book: Standard "(001.006S)" Standard ROM
and so on, about 20 lines (but unfortunely I have only some of these installed
on my system). If I'm using one of these fonts then PS file and printouts
looks as expected. What does this mean ? How can it affect the text->PS
conversion ?

> > LucidaConsole is the font I've used. Printed file looks on
> > paper exactly as in
> > kghostview.
> > Why the same font in ordinary QT widget and in ghostscript
> > looks so differ ?
>
> I don't know. A scenario that can happen is that the font embedding
> failed, such that ghostscript (use internally by CUPS for rasterization)
> use another font as replacement.
Are there some keys to turn verbose output, or some log files, where I can see
if it happens in my case ?

Again, thanks a lot for you help !

--
         Best regards,