Problems creating new printer with ppd for ps-file output only!

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jul 16 03:10:59 CEST 2005

Gero Mudersbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem:
>
> I have to create a postscript "ps" file using a special ppd file for a film
> imagesetter (it's not installed locally, so I have to get a ps file). I would
> like to use any kde application. So it would be nice to use kdeprint for
> setting up a new printer. How do I add a new printer with kdeprint that uses
> a ppd file for printing and redirects the output to a postscript file?
>
> Any idea would be great!

It would be nice if KDEPrint worked that way, but AFAIK it doesn't work
the same way that the Open Office PS driver works.  The OO PS driver's
output and options are determined by a PPD file.  KDEPrint doesn't do
that except when using CUPS and Foo-Matic it uses some of the info in
the Foo-Matic special PPD file for printer setup.

IIUC, to make a custom PS output configuration, you would have to make a
KDEPrint specific XML file.  At least I found that that is what you have
to do to configure the PS file created to make a PDF.  If you want to do
this, you need to create a new Filter which requires a 'desktop' and an
'xml' file.

--
JRT