Fwd: Re: 2006 Desktop - Second part

Gustavo Pichorim Boiko boiko at conectiva.com.br
Fri Jul 1 19:14:38 CEST 2005

Hi Till

First, thanks for replying my message :)

Em Sex 01 Jul 2005 13:55, Till Kamppeter escreveu:
> All your issues are concerning kprinter of KDE Print.

Yes, I'm probably messing the mail about names (KDE Print kdeprint kprint,
etc). But the central point is that for the user the name doesn't matter.
What it wants is to have his/her papers printed, and just that :)

> For a Mandriva solution we would have to either fork kprinter and
> redesign a lot of it or we must use another printing GUI by default.

I don't know much about printing, but I don't know any other interface that
can be easilly integrated into KDE and that provides as many features as KDE
Print does. Anyway, that was just a suggestion and I was expressing my point
of view. It is not me who decides what will be done for 2006, and what are
the priorities.

> Does GNOME have a better interface? Does it have a GUI frontend for
> pre-processing filters? AFAIR these features are not available in XPP or
> gtklp.

That's sad :(
The filters are good because you can do many useful things using them, but the
interface for using them is not so simple. But if we can't do anything better
until the 2006 release, let's keep the one which has more useful features

Cheers
--
Gustavo Pichorim Boiko