hacking around with cups etc, now kprinter can't find cups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Sep 10 23:37:59 CEST 2004

On Friday 10 September 2004 13:50, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>I don't think I'm subbed to this list, so please include me in
>replies.
>
>The cups-1.1.19 thats installed by default on an FC2 system has a
>broken response that crashes any kde app that gets anywhere near a
>printer.
>
>I mean, open a menu, and just hover the mouse over a printer related
>name in the menu, and 1 second later, boom, that piece of kde is
> gone till you restart x, its replaced by a crash advisory window
> front and center.
>
>I upgrade installed the rpms for cups-1.1.21-rc2, and
> gimp-print-4.2.7 from scratch which works with gimp-2.0, (this was
> brought on by defective translations in the redhat supplied
> gimp-print-4.2.7 rpms, everything was (en) in the browser display
> when selecting the right ppd's) so I can now print from the gimp,
> mozilla and any other non-kde app I've since tried.
>
>I've built kde-3.3 with konstruct, and even done several "cvs up
>-dP's", killed the cookies in kde/kdelibs & done a make clean, and
>rebuilt & re-installed from there, but the kprinter menu still
>doesn't have the cups system as an output option.  x(kde) has been
>restarted several times also.
>
>FWIW, when I had the cups-1.1.20 rpms installed, while konstruct was
>busy makeing kde-3.3, and gimp-print-4.2.6pre3 from a tarball,
>everything worked.  Then along comes yum and replaces the gimp-1.2.6
>with 2.0 and everything else got in a little red wagon and rolled
>merrily off down a long downhill road to hell.
>
>So what is it that I should do to make kde "re-survey" the system
> and find the now replaced cups (etc) stuffs and put them back in
> the kprinter menu?
>
>Thanks

It seems I accidentally stumbled over it by running the printer
manager, and it was showing the same, no cups.  Wandering around in
the menu's, I found a configuration requester, which when opened,
apparently does this rescan function because about 2 seconds after
clicking on the button to change the default, the list it presented
was updated, and cups is now available as a choice, which I then
selected as the default.

While I was there, I also had it do an IPP query on the default
printer, which gave me a very long list of abilities, and which, for
lack of a better use, looked like a printer test candidate, so I
clicked on the print button.  It worked just fine except for the size
of the fonts used, somewhere around 28 pt would be my guess, so it
took 6 sheets of paper to print it.

Where does one define the default "printer" font size?  Does the one
in kmail carry over to all kprinter output?  I've played with that
some, but it seems as if the printer font size selected is used for
the screen too.  Or is that a bug and it should be a seperate one you
never see the result of until you actually print?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)