kprinter polling

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Nov 29 16:02:01 CET 2004

> Sorry for not answering your post earlier.
> "kaddprinterwizard --kdeconfig" tells me, my CUPS-Server is
> localhost at port
> 631, although there is no CUPS section in my kdeprintrc.
>
> The /etc/hosts file is set up correctly I believe, as
> everything otherwise
> works fine:
>  # /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
>  #<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
>  127.0.0.1       frank.heimnetz  frank  localhost.localdomain
>  localhost
>
> (That was one of my first "connect call" problems when I switched to
> Linux ;-))
>
> Any more ideas?

Well, not that much. KDEPrint should use "localhost" on any IPP request.
This shouldn't trigger any external connection or DNS lookup. Connection
to server mentionned un the printer URI (that used to trigger external
connection and sometimes GUI lock-up) has been disabled since KDE-3.2.
Maybe you can try to define your CUPS server (in kdeprint settings) as
"127.0.0.1" although I doubt it would change anything.