kprinter and cups problem

Mark Bucciarelli mark at easymailings.com
Fri May 7 19:51:42 CEST 2004

Since I upgraded to RedHat8/KDE3.1 to Sarge/3.2, I cannot get kprinter to
see my cups server.  I suspect that I am missing some package on the
client.

I have two boxes on a LAN, server and client.  My recent upgrade was on the
client, not the server.

From the client, I can lpstat and print a file from the client if I specify
the server on the command line.  If I don't, it gives errors:

$lp testfile
lp: error - scheduler not responding!
$lpstat -v
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
$lpstat -h server -v
device for samsung: parallel:/dev/lp0
$lp -h server -d samsung testfile
request id is samsung-464 (1 file(s))
$

When I open the Printing Manager, it says:

	Unable to retrieve the printer list.  Error message received
	from manager:

	Connection to CUPS server failed.  Check that the CUPS server
	is correctly installed and running.  Error: connection refused.

Another strange thing (related?) is that the printe manager says "Connected
to localhost:631" (just underneath the "Print system currently used"
combobox).  There is no service listening on port 631 on the client.

When I use ethereal to watch the traffic on eth0 (filtering out the port 22
traffic), the lpstat dialog starts off like this:

	client to server: 34677 > ipp [SYN]
	server to client: ipp > 34677 [SYN, ACK]

With the kprinter dialog, I get this:

	vmware to client: SMB Echo Request
	client to vmware: SMB Echo Response
	vmware to client: 1027 > netbios-ssn [ACK]

Just Samba stuff (I have vmware running on the client sharing a directory).

So kprinter never sends any kind of request looking for the CUPS server.
If the firewall or hosts.allow was blocking the request, something would
show up in the ethereal log.

Do I need a cups server installed in the client for kprinter to work?

Stumped,

Mark

P.S. I am not subscribed, so please CC me on replies.  Thank you.