Totally odd kde vs print problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jun 29 17:12:03 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 10:25, Goffioul Michael wrote:
>> Ok, I am in
>> /usr/src/konstruct/kde/kdelibs/work/kdelibs-3.2.3/kdecore, and a
>> grep for debug outputs a huge amount of data, but I didn't note
>> anyplace to actually turn the debugging on.  Controlling it does
>> not appear to be a function of kdebug.h.  How is this done?
>
>Go into kdelibs top directory, there you'll find the script
>"configure". Use "./configure --help" to learn how to enable debug
>info. Then "cd" in kdecore and "make clean && make && make install".
>Normally, you don't need to restart X, just run any command from
>a terminal, this should use the newly compiled kdecore library.

I haven't done that yet, and don't think I need to!  Read on.

>> And once its done I'd assume I should exit X, do a "make clean" in
>> this dir, cd back up the tree to the top level kde dir and make,
>> make install?  Or is there a better way?
>>
>> And if I rebuild cups, should I go get the latest?, I think mine
>> is 1.1.20rc6 IIRC.  I'm not using foomatic.
>
>Yes, it's best to grab the latest (stable) version.

And that was the key!  I grabbed and installed 1.21rc1, and I think
its all working.  I did a "kcmshell printmgr" from the cli, and it
didn't crash, and it printed the cups test page to lp2 without any
hiccups.  Amazing, who would have thought it was a cups problem all
along?  I sure didn't.

Anyway, many thanks for getting me off of TDC and fixing it.

Now, I'm down to one complaint re:kde.  And this one comes and goes,
often several times while I'm replying to the same message.  The key
repeat goes from the normal 10 per second down to once every 2
seconds, and it stacks up in the buffer, keeping the cursor moving
long after I've up stroked the appropriate arrow key.  Its often far
faster to grab the mouse and click where I want the cursor to be than
to run it backwards 25 spaces to fix one of my fat fingered typu's.