Totally odd kde vs print problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jun 29 16:18:33 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 03:56, Goffioul Michael wrote:
>> >[General]
>> >PrintSystem=lpr
>>
>> I did the edit after restoreing those two files to the
>> ~/kde3.2.3/config dir, and got this for the backtrace:
>
>Note that using "lpr" as print system should avoid to use the CUPS
>library, hence the problem should not appear.

>> [Switching to Thread 1094566432 (LWP 5466)]
>> 0x407c8317 in fREe () from /root/kde3.2.3/lib/libkdecore.so.4
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0  0x407c8317 in fREe () from /root/kde3.2.3/lib/libkdecore.so.4
>> #1  0x407c7725 in free () from /root/kde3.2.3/lib/libkdecore.so.4
>> #2  0x41b1de3e in httpClose () from /usr/lib/libcups.so.2
>> #3  0x41adc153 in IppRequest::doFileRequest(QString const&,
>> QString const&) ()
>
>That's really baaaaaad. Basically, it looks like the problem is
>out of my control, because it appears in the reimplementation of
>the memory allocation routines in the core of KDE. Is it possible
>for you to compile CUPS and kdelibs/kdecore/ with debug enable,
>and produce the same backtrace?

Ok, I am in /usr/src/konstruct/kde/kdelibs/work/kdelibs-3.2.3/kdecore,
and a grep for debug outputs a huge amount of data, but I didn't note
anyplace to actually turn the debugging on.  Controlling it does not
appear to be a function of kdebug.h.  How is this done?

And once its done I'd assume I should exit X, do a "make clean" in
this dir, cd back up the tree to the top level kde dir and make, make
install?  Or is there a better way?

And if I rebuild cups, should I go get the latest?, I think mine is
1.1.20rc6 IIRC.  I'm not using foomatic.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.