erratic printing from acroread

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jul 2 18:10:02 CEST 2004

Maf. King wrote:
> On Friday 02 Jul 2004 15:26, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>Maf. King wrote:
>>
>>>I'm now off to adobe to file a bug report for acroread.
>>>
>>>Just for the record, trying to print just page 15 from my 18-page test
>>>doc. produces no output at all...
>>
>>Looks very much like a problematic PDF file.
>>
>>Which app produced it?
>>What does the "Document Info..." have to say about it?
>

> The file was sent to me by a customer, produced by MS Word (don't know which
> version, would guess XP) via Distiller 5.

Distiller 5 may have used new features not understood by
the downstream programs (like ghostscript) further processing
the file, features such as transparency etc.

>>Does the page print under Windows?
>
> Don't know. Don't have a windows box to try with.
> (That felt good to write! - I guess my migration is complete.)
>
>>Does the document display correctly in acroread as well as gv?
>>(gv can also display PDFs, should you not know this...)
>
> acroread _displays_ this file fine.  I am having a problem printing it.

You could try to use acroread command line options to create
different versions of PostScript and try these if they print
(and display in kghostview) OK. Try

   "acroread --help"

to see some options.

   "acroread -toPostScript -level1 file.pdf"
   "acroread -toPostScript -level2 file.pdf"
   "acroread -toPostScript -level3 file.pdf"

> The
> Original Poster also had problems printing, using a similar system to me.  I
> contributed to the thread because I was annoyed by the (now fixed, thanks!)
> dialog box issue.  ps2pdf produces

"ps2pdf"? You mean pdf2ps, no?

Well, try the conversions which acroread offers, and test some
different options.

> a full 18-page ps file, so GS is clearly
> fine with the file.

But the printer's PS interpreter isnt. So you could investigate
the PS file and see what weird commands are on page 15 which
doesnt print....

> (don't have gv on my system.  gs or kghostview only)

Cheers,
Kurt