erratic printing from acroread

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Jul 2 13:08:42 CEST 2004

On Friday 02 Jul 2004 11:18, Maf. King wrote:
> On Friday 02 Jul 2004 10:48, Goffioul Michael wrote:
> > It looks like acroread only generates the first 11 pages, such that
> > kprinter cannot do anything more than printing those pages :-)
> > If you print to a PS file from acroread, without using kprinter, do
> > you see all pages?
> >
> > Michael.
>
> I agree, looks like an acroread bug.
>
> But how does that explain the annoying dialog box - which clearly isn't an
> acrobat bug?
>
> Maf.

OK, engage brain.

one doesn't get the dialog box when printing to file, since kprinter
effectively copies STDIN -> filename.ps, and doesn't do anything to the file.

BUT, digging deeper -

maf at skaro:~> kprinter changelog9.1.txt
[ 1 pages * 1 copy ] left in /tmp/kde-maf/kdeprint_2kFyTCXp
3 lines were wrapped
kprinter: WARNING: KFilterBase::findFilterByExtension : no filter found for
text/plain
maf at skaro:~>

although the file prints perfectly (to a real printer)

from konqueror, I printed a web page to a ps file, then:

maf at skaro:~> kprinter print-qt.ps
kprinter: WARNING: KFilterBase::findFilterByExtension : no filter found for
text/plain
maf at skaro:~>

again, the file printed perfectly.

So acroread is just copying the output from kprinter to a dialog.  Which IMHO
is a Good Thing. But why the output in the first place?  Any pointers on how
to fix that warning?

Thanks,
Maf.