erratic printing from acroread

Andreas andreas.russ at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 20:21:58 CEST 2004

Sorry to bother you with this, but I could not find a solution to my
problem on the usual websites.
I run Suse 9.1 on an AMD64 box with an old HP LaserJet 1100 on serial.
Most of my printing works fine using the hpijs driver, even from MS Word
under CrossOverOffice.
When I try to print from AcroRead, I get the error message

kprinter: WARNING: KFilterBase::findFilterByExtension : no filter found
for text/plain

followed by a print of sometimes one, sometimes 2 pages, but not
more....
Switching between CUPS and lpr did not seem to make a lot of difference.
I checked my file associations, my PDF file is known to the system as a
PDF, not text/plain. Adding --stdin to kprinter does not change
anything.

This is way above the head of an amateur like me, and as this is the one
problem between me and weaning my work off the Win2K box I would very
much appreciate if anyone could help. I have figured out how to print my
PDFs from the command line, but it is a matter of honour, isn't it ;-)

Best wishes
Andreas