using a "webfax" via kprinter?

b_a_b_a at excite.com b_a_b_a at excite.com
Mon Jan 12 18:18:11 CET 2004

Hello,

i haven't found any other references for my question - so i do hope this will be the right place to ask.

Has anybody ever tired to integrate those "email-to-fax"-solutions/gateways inside of kprinter?

We do have the option for "normal"/harware fax machines - BUT in the recent times a lot of internet-provierds offers cheap faxing using their infastructure:

The "trick" itself is quite simple: If I send an empty email with an tiff-attachment to my provider using a special eMailadress (indeed its: "faxnumberofreceiver at fax.myprovider.de") it will send it to the given faxnumber as "real" fax.

The other way (receiving  a fax) it quite similar: I do have a sepcial "real" telephone-number from this provider. If somebody send me a fax-message to this numer i will receive it as normal eMail with tiff-attachment.

NOW it would be really cool to integrate a "webfax"-option as "virtual printer" (like the pdf-printer for example). As the structure above is offered by a hugde internet-provier in germany  i think there should be interest for such a solution. And i do believe that you find similar solutions all around the world - bridgeing old g3-fax towards a more internet-based world.

AFAIK kprinter will receive its printable work in postscript, correct?
(im new to all this stuff - coming from os/2)

so the structure would be:
apllication ->
print ->
kprinter ->
print to "webfax"
-> enter faxnumber
-> convert ps to tiff (g3-compatible)
-> use mailapplication to send (in background) the fax
-> use the faxnumer given above as the "left part" of the receiver-emailaddress (faxnumerofreceiver at fax.provider.de)
-> this "right part" (subdomain.domain) should be saved in the preferences

With this structure above it should be possible to web-fax from any application using kprinter.
A notice abaout sending the fax weather it was succesfull or not (including error messages) is provided from the provider by sending back a status-email to my emailaccount...

The complete open question is HOW to do this...*g* Any hints, ideas?
Thanks,
baba