Font problems, unable to print

Jaakko H Kyro jkyro at pp.htv.fi
Fri Feb 27 12:58:55 CET 2004

Hi all!

I'm having problems with printing. I'm using KDE3.2 and I installed  the
esstix fonts for KFormula. After that all printing ceased working. Tracking
the problem a little, it seems like ghostscript can't find some default fonts
like Helvetica or Courier. If I just run 'gs' on the command line, the result
is:

$ gs
GNU Ghostscript 7.07 (2003-05-17)
Copyright (C) 2003 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Can't find (or can't open) font
file /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/Times-Roman.
Can't find (or can't open) font file Times-Roman.
Substituting font Courier for Times-Roman.
Can't find (or can't open) font
file /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/Courier.
Can't find (or can't open) font file Courier.
Unable to load default font Courier!  Giving up.
$

Same output can be seen in the cups error log.
None of the applications that use ghostscript for printing work, I'm only able
to print from the GIMP using Gimp-print drivers and a CUPS raw queue.

The directory
/usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font/
is empty.

Reinstalling ghostscript or the fonts didn't help. All the installed font file
permissions are OK. The file /etc/fonts/Fontmap didn't contain anything
regarding Courier or Helvetica, so I even tried to add aliases for them,
didn't help.

I'm using Fedora Core 1 and the KDE packages are from
kde-redhat.sourceforge.net.

--
Jaakko Kyrö