How to make CUPS printers available in KDE

David Jarvie lists at astrojar.org.uk
Tue Dec 14 19:00:21 CET 2004

I use CUPS for printing. I installed KDE 3.3.2 (compiled from source), but
when I try to print from KDE, the CUPS printers don't show up in the list of
printers. When I bring up the Control Centre Printing module, non-root users
show no CUPS printers, but when I switch to Administrator Mode, the printers
show up correctly. However the printers *are* actually usable by non-root
users from outside KDE. How can I make them available through KDE?

An additional fault is: When I bring up the KDE Printing Manager or the
Control Centre Printers module, I get the following message displayed 3 times
before the relevant dialog appears:
    "There was an error loading kdeprint_lpd. The diagnostic is:
    Library files for "kdeprint_lpd.la" not found in paths."

Since I have CUPS installed, not lpd, it isn't obvious why it should be
looking for kdeprint_lpd.

Cheers,
David.