Rendezvous support in kaddprinterwizard - take 2

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Fri Dec 10 10:24:05 CET 2004

> Hello,,
>
> I have made some improvements in my patch allowing
> kaddprinterwizard to search
> for printer supporting Rendezvous and autodetecting their
> configuration.
> Things improved:
>  - shows only one entry for printer supporting several
> protocols (ipp,  lpr)
> according to priority
> - detect postscript printer (by checking for
> application/postscript in pdl
> property)
> - shows listbox only after finding first printer
>
> RIght now list of found printers it is placed on backend
> selection page. I
> would be grateful for suggestions of better placement and
> some testing.

Sorry for the late answer. I don't have access currently to a Linux
machine, so I cannot test your patch. I'll do so ASAP. From a usability
point of view, I wouldn't put this list of printer at the same location
as the backends but maybe:
1) in a page before backend selection with the list of printer and a set
   of 2 radio buttons to select "Manual printer search" or something like
   that
2) in a page after the backend selection which is shown if the user
   select the option "Auto-detection" at the backend page (option to
   be added, of course).

Otherwise, it looks nice. Nevertheless, I think that RDV support might
be added directly to CUPS and in that context, as kdeprint already uses
the spooler auto-detection mechanism (mainly for parallel and USB printers),
you'd have RDV support in kdeprint for free. This is something to be
checked.