Missing/corrupt PPD files?

Jason Ahrens jason.ahrens at rogers.com
Fri Apr 16 01:28:14 CEST 2004

On April 14, 2004 22:24, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> > I ran this
>
> *What* did you run from the command line?

kaddprintwizard. It behaved differently if run from the command line, than if
you pressed the 'new printer' button from a print dialog.

From the print dialog, kaddprintwizard would get to the point where it would
ask me for what kind of printer it was (Canon/BJC 250) and then complain that
it was unable to load the driver. The exact error is "Unable to load the
requested driver:". By the presence of the :, I expect it should be giving me
more information about what driver it was trying to load.

From the command line, it would find the driver and keep going. But I tried
again just now and it now behaves the same as the above test That reassures
me some that both behave the same way now.

> You don't tell us which distro you use....

Sorry.

Gentoo, KDE 3.2.1, CUPS 1.1.20, foomatic 3.0.1, gimp-print 5.0.0a1

CUPS configured for Canon BJC 250 usiing gimp-print. KDE sees the queue, and I
can use it, but I cannot configure the resolution or colour/BW at print time
via KDE (I can from the CUPS web interface before initiating a print job).

> I can only guess that your distro has setup CUPS (see /etc/cups/cupsd.conf)
> to use "AuthType Digest" or "AuthType BasicDigest" instead of
> the default "AuthType Basic".
>
> Which means thet there will be a separate data base different
> from /etc/passwd to check for user auth for CUPS. To create users
> in that database (which won't happen automatically), run the
>
>    lppasswd -a username
>
> command (and check "man lppasswd" first).

I just checked the cups.conf file, and it's auth config is:
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

Jason