Missing/corrupt PPD files?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Apr 15 04:24:42 CEST 2004

Jason Ahrens wrote:

> On April 13, 2004 12:17, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>>Try to run
>>   cupstestppd /path/to/ppd
>>or
>>   cupstestppd -v /path/to/ppd
>

> Which PPD file? At this point, I'm starting to get more and more confused. I
> found a /etc/cups/Canon-BJC-250.ppd file that Cups seems to have generated
> when I defined the printer.

That was the right one. CUPS uses PPD files for all non-raw printqueues
which get copied into /etc/cups/ppd/ and re-named according to the printqueue.

cupstestppd can also test not-yet-installed PPD, which are intended for
installation.

> cupstedppd reports that that file passes.

Good

> Is
> there another PPD file? Should KDE have itos own PPD file?

No to both.

> When I point KDE to this PPD file though, it reports that it's the wrong
> format. I tried this with the foomatic XML file as well but got the same
> error.
>

>>"kaddprinterwizard" is also able to let "foomatic-*ppc" create
>>a PPD on the fly from the content of the Foomatic XML files
>>(describing printers, drivers and their capabilities). You
>>may have Foomatic packages missing if that doesn't work. Or
>>an old version of Foomatic may create in-valid PPDs if measured
>>with the ruler a newer cupstestppd uses....
>

> I ran this

*What* did you run from the command line?

> from the command line, and got farther. It seemed to understand the
> whole Canon/BJC 250 thing, and go on to options and test pages, however it
> started prompting me for authorization.

You don't tell us which distro you use....

I can only guess that your distro has setup CUPS (see /etc/cups/cupsd.conf)
to use "AuthType Digest" or "AuthType BasicDigest" instead of
the default "AuthType Basic".

Which means thet there will be a separate data base different
from /etc/passwd to check for user auth for CUPS. To create users
in that database (which won't happen automatically), run the

   lppasswd -a username

command (and check "man lppasswd" first).

> Neither my username not root would
> go. It continually asked for authorization information, and I had to cancel
> the installation as no account would work.

Cheers,
Kurt