install a ppd

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Tue Nov 25 01:00:52 CET 2003

Goffioul Michael wrote:
>>hi *
>>
>>i've a new LaserJet 2500n (color laser printer) configuring
>>cups via web
>>i can't find the right name i can find 1220 2100 3200 but no
>>2500, ive a
>>.ppd file for Mac OS X how to install it ona linux box to use this
>>printer ?
>

> Try to put your PPD file in /usr/share/cups/models/ and restart
> the CUPS server. Then try again to configure the printer, you
> should see the driver.
>
> Otherwise, your printer understand PCL6, PCL5c and PS.
> Giving the fact that it's a color laser printer, Till
> should be able to tell you which replacement printer to
> use (assuming you're also using Foomatic). Till?
> I guess the easiest is to use a generic PS printer
> driver in this case.

For a PostScript printer it is usally best to use the
manufacturer-supplied PPD. The PPD from Mac OS X would also server for
CUPS on any OS, including Linux. The generic PostScript PPDs from
linuxprinting.org have only limited options and so do not give you
access to all features of your printer.

In PCL mode you should only run the printer if you encounter bugs in its
PostScript interpreter (for example "gv" displays your PostScript file
perfectly, but the printer does not print it), as often there are
printer features only accessable via PostScript.

    Till