HELP WANTED: kdeprint with GNUlpr

Goffioul Michael goffioul at imec.be
Mon Nov 24 09:17:45 CET 2003

IMHO, what's really missing in LPRng to build a decent support
in KDEPrint is an API and a library. Any command/operation has
to be made by executing a program and parsing its output, so this
heavily relies on a specific syntax. This is a pain from the
client programmer point of view. That's why CUPS support is much
more developed in KDEPrint: it provides a full API.
Another problem with LPRng is the *wide* variety of driver
systems existing out there, each one using its own files, setup,
DB syntax or whatever. Again here, CUPS is more easy to use:
you can request the server for the driver file, and it's always
a PPD file. Presenting print options is then quite easy.
LPRng is probably a wonderful print spooler for the command-line,
but it's really difficult to build a modern GUI on top of it.
The first thing I would expect from LPRng is an API.

Michael.