HELP WANTED: kdeprint with GNUlpr

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Sun Nov 23 00:49:39 CET 2003

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Yes:
>>
>> LPRng:
>>
>>    lpr -P printer -Z Resolution=1200dpi file.ps
>>
>> CUPS or GNUlpr:
>>
>>    lpr -P printer -o Resolution=1200dpi file.ps
>

> In this context, saying that you have to resort to the command line is
> the same as saying 'NO'.

"gpr" works as well with LPRng. The last touch on it was even done by me
to make it working nicely with Foomatic and LPRng.

Under CUPS you can use "kprinter", "gtklp", or "xpp".

So graphical choosing of printers and setting of options does not
require GNUlpr, it works with both LPRng and CUPS.

> With GNUlpr, you can use the 'gpr' command for
> your print command and the widget pops up where you can set this stuff.

Works with LPRng and probably also other spoolers. What you need to set
printer/driver-specific options with it is a PPD file.

> But, the KDE GUI interface should do this.  And, it should be able to do
> this without foomatic.

KDE Print can either use Foomatic or a readily built PPD file (for
example from a PostScript printer, a CUPS raster driver, or from
linuxprinting.org). So Foomatic is not needed if you have a PPD file,
but note that foomatic-rip has to be installed if the PPD file is from
linuxprinting.org or if you have set up your print queue as shown on

http://www.linuxprinting.org/lpd-doc.html

> After installing, my first problem is that I can't get my old Epson 24
> pin to work.

Which driver are you using? Which spooler are you using? How did you set
up the print queue?

    Till