Need help to fix bug with RenameDlg not checking name existance

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at Kossebau.de
Fri Nov 14 17:10:09 CET 2003

Hi,

who feels in charge of the RenameDialog? Copyright tells (C) 2000 Stephan
Kulow, David Faure, 2001 Holger Freyther.

It lacks a suffient api documentation so I cannot tell where to go with this
bug:
1. Create some files in your home dir:
 $ touch print.ps; touch print_1.ps; touch print_2.ps
2. Open a file in Kate and reach for the printing dialog
3. Select "print to file": default is ~/print.ps
4. Click "Ok"
5. Smart printer dialog detects there already is such a file
   and calls for the RenameDlg.
6. Click "Suggest" button and get a new name proposed: "print_1.ps"
7. Click "Rename" which is now activated.
8. Lucky you. Get your existing "print_1.ps" overwritten, without any warning.
9. Help me.

Problem 1: There is no check whether the filename returned from RenameDlg is
already existing when "Rename" was selected.

Problem 2:
The "Propose" function of RenameDlg is rather dumb. It doesn't detect any
possible further name conflicts.

Where should I work on? I would go for the RenameDlg*. But due to the lack of
a precise definition I don't know what to do. It would need to get a dir
listing. I guess a RenameDlg should work network transparent but then I am
not sure if it really is supposed to be. Especially as I found close to no
usages.

*( Neglecting the race conditon that might still happen. Is there any policy
on this at all?

Anyone?

Friedrich