KDEPrint on other *NIX platforms.

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:04:45 +0100

Nick Bartolotti wrote:

> Kurt,
>
> Thanks for the information.  The address is below.  If this is available
> on-line (as an ISO or similar) I can d'load it.  I've heard of Knoppix
> but not yet had a chance to use it.

"Original" Knoppix:
-------------------

The "original" KNOPPIX-3.2 includes also some GNOME apps, many KDE and a niceer
menue to configure ADSL, ISDN, Sound, WLAN, IP address and USB Memory Sticks to
save settings or documents -- but has "older" versions of CUPS, Gimp-Print, Samba and ESP
Ghostscript...)

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/
    http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/knoppix/
    http://uiarchive.uiuc.edu/mirrors/ftp/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

(isos with "DE" in the name boot by default with a German UI, isos with an
"EN" in the name boot by default with an English UI)

This (original) Knoppix is a base on Debian Linux, and composed of a mixture
from Debian unstable, testing and stable. It runs very well from CD (as a demo)
but *must* be considered as not fit for perament installation to HD (due to
the package managment not being able to update the package mixture in a consistent
way, even if some script being passed around in the internet say thay would
put KNOPPIX on HD "with ease")

KDE-Knoppix:
------------

http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/ISO/Danka-credativ-KDEeV-liveCD.iso

Our KDE version of KNOPPIX is based on Debian "stable" (=Woody) or backported
Woody packages (to give at least a chance for a package management to work
should someone dare to put it on HD). It is *all* of KDE-3.1.1 (with even the
latest "Gideon" a.k.a. "kdevelop" programming IDE fully working!). It sports
ESP Ghostscript 7.05.5, CUPS-1.1.18, Gimp-Print 4.2.5, Foomatic-3.0beta,
3000+ PPDs, Samba-2.2.7a. As here CUPS is started upon booting, you can
start printing immediately (if you have a CUPS server in the LAN sharing its
printers).
The drawbacks: some menue entries which make live easier with the "original"
KNOPPIX are missing.

Some tips:

* F2 gives some help when you boot and see the prompt.

* use "credativ noscsi" if it doesn't boot because it hangs when trying to
   autodetect SCSI hardware.

If you've DHCP both will setup their IP address and you're ready to go to the
internet, write and read e-Mails and much more...

> I will take your suggestions and work toward getting this project up and
> running.

Keep us informed when you've problems or successes...   ;-)

> Thanks again for you suggestions and help!
> Nick.
>
> Nick Bartolotti
> Ten Technologies, LLC
> 300 Main Street, Suite 4-207