KDEPrint on other *NIX platforms.

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:22:43 +0100

Nick Bartolotti wrote:

> Our recommendations to the customer were ESP, followed by BrightQ,

I don't know BrightQ well enough...

> followed by TurboPrint,

...but TurboPrint is not something to be compared to ESP PrintPro or CUPS.
TurboPrint are hi-qualitity printer drivers -- which may be used even *inside*
CUPS or ESP Print Pro (and which may also lean on traditional/legacy "LPR/LPD"
printing.

> followed by something developed.  The customer
> did not want a relationship with any of these vendors

If he/you use(s) CUPS, you're using an ESP product, albeit the version that
is put under the GPL.

> and chose the
> development path.  So, that is why I am researching what to do.
>
> Personally, I think this is going to boil down to a set of instructions
> (or a script) to install KDEPrint and a PPD.

Certainly KDEPrint is the most powerfull of all CUPS frontends.

> We still may need to write
> a custom filter and/or backend to use with CUPS.

This is quite easy to write and plug-in to the CUPS framework, once you
know some basic rules to follow. And kprinter will happily make use of
any extensions....

> Thanks Again,
> Nick.

Cheers,