KDEPrint on other *NIX platforms.

Nick Bartolotti kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:10:00 -0500

The GUI needs to do essentially what kprinter does.  Background: I began
researching this solution before I knew about kprinter.  Since kprinter
is a viable solution, I have been attempting to find out if and under
what circumstances kprinter can be used under other desktop environments
-- namely HP-UX 11 and Solaris 8/9.

I am currently in the proof of concept phase of the development cycle.
Once I know if this can be done *for sure* it will make future decisions
(and the project direction) much simpler.  What I am aiming for is one
code base that can be used for all environments.  I don't mind a
recompile for the appropriate OS/CPU.  However, I want to know up front
if I will have to develop specifically for CDE or if I can use a KDE
based app in this environment (perhaps with the correct libraries
installed??).

> >>From this investigation, it seems that the desktop environment's GUI
> > library must match the library used for the GUI apps.  For Redhat, I
> > have read that GNOME and KDE apps are mostly compatible,
>=20
> If "compatible" means: you can run any single KDE app inside a GNOME
> desktop and any GNOME app inside a KDE desktop environment -- the
answer
> is yes.
>=20
> > but for Solaris
> > and HP-UX, the default desktop environment is CDE.  My guess is that
any
> > GUI app that I want to run under CDE must be linked against the CDE
> > libraries (whatever they are) as opposed to the Qt libraries.
>=20
> No. Once you have compiled KDEPrint on Solaris (and if it is linked
> against
> the libcups) you should be OK. It just needs an X server.
>=20
> You need quite a few KDE libraries present too. No idea how much that
> would
> be. Probably you need to see yourself....

This is good.  I will continue to research this.  I don't mind having to
install the required libraries for a KDE based application to run under
CDE.

>=20
> If you install the complete "kdelibs" and "kdebase" package from the
URL
> I posted previously
> (http://sunrpms.mauraudingpirates.org/software/sparc/5.8/RPMS/),
> you should be safe. [NOTE, that the "RPM" packaging and installation
> method for Solaris sounds somewhat unusual, but seems to work well
with
> the additional tools provided on that side.... BTW, it also provides
GNOME
> and some other software there.]
>=20
> "kprinter" and some other executables -- "kjobviewer",
> "kaddprinterwizard",
> "cupsdoprint", "cupsdconf", "make_driver_db_cups" and a few more come
> mind
> -- are part of the "kdeprint" subdirectories in "kdelibs" and
"kdebase" of
> the
> overall KDE source tree.

I have looked into blastwave but not yet had a chance to go to
maraudingpirates.  I will get there eventually.

>=20
> Maybe Michael (Goffioul) jumps in and can tell more details about what
> minimum dependencies are required to compile KDEPrint on its own with
> CUPS support....
>=20
> > I think the other option is Motif, but I'm not sure where Motif fits
> > into the picture.
>=20
> Motif is dead. (Unless you need to support some very old legacy apps).
> And surely you don't need it anywhere to support a GUI interface to
> CUPS.
>=20

This is why I am researching and asking questions :o).

> A more lightweight approach to get a CUPS GUI working on HP-UX and
> and Solaris are "xpp" and "gtklp" (these are limited to a GUI "print
> command" only approach and missing the full control over
administration
> and job handling aspects KDEPrint provides):
>=20
>    http://cups.sourceforge.net/xpp/
>    http://gtklp.sourceforge.net/

I can't go lightweight.  It is essential that all features be available
to the user.
=20
>=20
> And last, not least, you may want to check out the commercially
supported
> CUPS version "ESP Print Pro", made by the CUPS developers themselves:
>=20
>    http://www.easysw.com/printpro/
>=20
> This installs out of the box on HP-UX and Solaris and supports every
> PostScript printer (plus 1000 non-PostScript printers too) in various
> locales. Licensing ESP Print Pro helps feed the CUPS developers and
> continue the development of the GLP version of CUPS.
>=20

Our recommendations to the customer were ESP, followed by BrightQ,
followed by TurboPrint, followed by something developed.  The customer
did not want a relationship with any of these vendors and chose the
development path.  So, that is why I am researching what to do.

Personally, I think this is going to boil down to a set of instructions
(or a script) to install KDEPrint and a PPD.  We still may need to write
a custom filter and/or backend to use with CUPS.
=20
Thanks Again,
Nick.