KDEPrint on other *NIX platforms.

Kurt Pfeifle kde-print@mail.kde.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 14:51:52 +0100

Matthias Posseldt wrote:

> On Saturday 22 March 2003 00:25, Nick Bartolotti wrote:
>
>>We'd like to use KDEPrint/CUPS as the recommended solution but I could
>>not find if this is a legal combination on the OSes other than Linux.  I
>>understand that CUPS will work on HP/Solaris, but did not find anything
>>about KDEPrint working on these OSes.

KDE (and all its programs) are (in theory) designed to work an all common
*NIX-platforms. Ready-made packages for Sun Solaris do exist, made by
people using KDE (binary packages are normally not offered by the KDE
project itself, they only distribute the sourcecode).

>>My assumption is that KDEPrint uses Qt or some other window library and
>>for it to work on HP/Solaris it needs to be ported to use CDE.

KDE and KDEPrint use Qt.

> No, since QT is a complete widget library and more KDEPrint hasn't to be
> ported to CDE. The first step is install QT, the second step is to install
> KDE. KDE is cross-platform too, so there should be no problem.
>
> I don't know about binary packages for these platforms, but they most
> certainly exist somewhere on the net.

http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php

This is a relatively new site, aiming at offering all sorts of Free Software
for Solaris (i86 and SPARC).

They have Qt-3.1.1 and aRts-1.1 ready and I expect the kdelibs and kdebase
packages (containing KDEPrint) to show up soon.

The ingenious thing is that the have developed a "dpk-get" tool similar to
the famous "apt-get" of Debian.

http://sunrpms.maraudingpirates.org/ also has KDE packages made.

Make sure you stick to one of the two -- I don't know if they interoperate
well (library dependencies...)

> But building its own packages from
> source isn't difficult either.

Hmmm-hmmmm.... sometimes you need to tweak quite a few things....