[Foomatic] Re: Printer driver UI [proposal]

David Chappell kde-print@mail.kde.org
17 Mar 2003 11:35:40 -0500

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 23:06, Mike Sweet wrote:
> Robert L Krawitz wrote:
> > The problem with this is that it isn't portable to printing systems
> > other than CUPS.  The PPD file will work with other printing systems,
> > but unless you've done something really clever the non-standard
> > options won't be accessible.  There either needs to be a well-defined
> > extension to PPD files that allows things like this, or a new file
> > format.
>
> Fortunately, I can be really clever.
>
> Extended options are visible to non-CUPS enabled clients as PickOne
> options with standard values (basically the way things are with the
> current GIMP-print driver numeric options...)  This doesn't give you
> complete control, but it does allow you to define your own "standard"
> values...

It is noteworthy that the PPD spec (starting on page 106) describes an
option called CustomPageSize which together with ParamCustomPageSize
describes a five parameter option with ranges defined for each
parameter.  Can we use this framework for other options?