Send a Fax problem

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Mon Jun 2 15:58:19 CEST 2003

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.  Finally I discover the trick.

First to make USER can start KPPP as follows:

Use "Menu Editor" to edit

Extras -> Internet -> KPPP

Command :   /usr/sbin/kppp

Now KPPP can be started as USER with
KStart -> Extras -> Internet - > KPPP
without requesting for password.

But USER is still not allowed using the modem to fax without first

1) start KPPP as USER
2) connect it to ISP
3) then disconnect it

Afterward USER is allowed to fax.  Without completing the foregoing
procedure a temporary text lock file will be created at

/var/lock/LCK...modem

$ ls -l /var/lock/
total 12
-r--r--r--    1 satimis  satimis        11 Jun  1 19:23 LCK..modem

After removing this lock file with following commands
# chmod +w /var/lock/LCK...modem
# rm /var/lock/LCK...modem

Start KPPP as USER to connect ISP and afterward disconnect it.

Then USER is allowed to fax.  It took me long time to discover this
trick.

Can any folk on the list shed me some light to solve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

B.Regards
Stephen