Howto remove a printer in the printing manager?

Michael Goffioul goffioul at imec.be
Tue Jul 22 14:28:34 CEST 2003

> but unfortunately no Remove :(

Because it's a remote printer, and you cannot remove remote printers,
this needs to be done on the computer where those printers are defined.
But you can "hide" those printers using 2 ways:
1) filtering the printers shown, filtering is configured in the
   KDEPrint settings dialog (Print Manager -> configure manager
   -> Filter)
2) disable browsing for your local CUPS server, so it won't see anymore
   printers broadcasted by other computers on your LAN.

> In the printers.conf file there is only one printer listed, which I want to
> use and have done so in the last few months.
> Upon restarting cupsd, http://localhost:631/printers lists this printer.
>
> Running the KDE printing manager once, which lists two unwanted printers,
> makes cupsd to add two printers (output from http://localhost:631/printers):

KDE print manager does not "add" the remote printers, the fact is that
those printers appears only a certain time after CUPS restart. Just try
to restart the CUPS server, wait a few minutes (to be sure), then
visit http://localhost:631/printers

> Note the Device URI is the same for all three printers, however the
> description of the two unwanted printers says they are attached to some other
> computer.

Because they are remote printers == print queues installed on other
computers.

> BTW: The only printer with a right-click menu option "Remove" in the KDE
> printing manager is the printer configured with cups.

Because you can only remove local print queues.

> It is possible to remove those unwanted printers (lp0 and wieselburger) with
> http://localhost:631/admin but trying to configure them, gives the error
> message: server-error-service-unavailable

I doubt you're actually removing the printer, even from the web admin
tool. What you do is to remove the local image of the remote printer,
until browsing is updated again, which make the remote printer
to re-appear. Just try to remove the printer from web interface, then
wait a few minutes and refresh the page http://localhost:631/printers

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul at imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.