System-wide printers.conf for rlpr

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:59:13 +0100

> Hi again,
>
> thanks for the quite helpful info first.
>
> I'd like to note though, that the rlprrc solution is suboptimal in our -
> maybe pathological - environment.
> Due to the fact that we have more than 200 cryptically named printqueues
> on one central rlpr host and that the printers are distributed all over
> the company, information that is not provided by rlprrc but would be
> provided by a preconfigured printers.conf (i. e. description and
> location fields) could be a big aid choosing the right printer.

OK, I understand the problem. However, there's no satisfying
workaround. Using a system-wide printers.conf file (along with a
user-specific one) sounds like a nice addition anyway. I'll
probably add it soon (not much work).

As a side note, even with cryptic printer names, you can still
locate it easily. In my company (3 buildings with 4 floors each,
about 1000 workers), all printers have a name convention like
this:

pr<building><floor><short-description>

So "pr34cpaper" means a printer in the 3rd building, 4th floor,
and it's a Tektronix Color Phaser (with paper source). With this
convention, you can locate easily any printer.

Bye.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM