System-wide printers.conf for rlpr

Till Kamppeter kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:33:33 +0100

Then you should probably consider the use of CUPS. If the print server
runs CUPS, you can still access with rlpr (so you don't need to switch
on all clients immediately) but putting CUPS onto a client, you get
description and location delivered from the server along with the queue
info and the client does not even need a queue, because it recognizes
the queues automatically and so you can immediately access the printer
and all its options.

If you are responsible for one department and want to get the printers
relevant to your department easily accessable you can also set up a
relay CUPS server in your department which has queues pointing into the
appropriate queues on the server (CUPS can also work as an LPD client).
The clients of your department can also run CUPS and this way get the
access to the queues defined on the relay server.

    Till