Newbie Just Tryin' to Print from KDE

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:38:10 +0100

> > > That gives me an error (unknown command), so I start it with just
> > > "cupsd."
> >
> > Do you get anything in /var/log, most probably /var/log/messages?
>
> You mean something like this (in messages):
>
>         Jan 26 11:47:11 Maxine lpd[69998]: lpd startup: logging=0
>
> It's the only thing I see dealing with print functionality. That line also
> shows up in lpd-errors.
>
> The last line of my dmesg.today is this
>
>         lpt0: switched to polled extended mode
>
> Other lines in dmesg seem to indicate all's well with the OS and printer...
>
>         ppbus0: <EPSON Stylus COLOR 900> PRINTER ESCPL2,PRPXL24,BDC,D4
>         plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
>         lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
>         lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
>         ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

The error you get "unknown command" simply tells you that the cupsd
executable is not in your PATH. Try to type the entire path to
cupsd (on my system, it's /usr/sbin/cupsd). OTOH, it seems the LPD
daemon is running. It is not mandatory to shut down the LPD daemon
to run the CUPS daemon, however this makes little sense.
Many Linux distros have now system administration tools, where you
can configure the keyboard, the network, the screen resolution...
One part of those tools is dedicated to the services that are started
at boot. Look for such a tool on your distro, disable the LPD service
and enable CUPS.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.