Understanding the export printer driver feature

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:38:00 +0100

Chris Howells wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the Export driver features since I have a server running
> CUPS and want to print to it from an XP machine (possible a ME machine
> machine later).
>
> I'm having trouble understanding what I need to download. Clicking on the link
> in the prog leads to http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/main.html.
> Can I just download AdobePS 4.5.2 for Windows 95/98 I do I need the Windows
> NT/2000 version? Will the same version of AdobePS work for all versions of
> Windows?

The needed files are listed in the manual page of cupsaddsmb. If you
have all the mentionned files, then the driver will be exported for
Windows 9x and Windows NT-based machine. However, to gather all the files,
you might need to download both version of the AdobePS. Note that
everything should be available in the Universal PS Windows Driver
available at

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=pdrv&platform=win

Executable are usually:
- either self-exract ZIP archive, use unzip
- or self-install CAB archive, use cabextract

However, it is possible that the files within the archive are themselves
compressed using whatever method (you know, files like ADOBEPS.DL_). The
best is still to install the package on a Windows machine, and get the
files from that installation.

Note that future versions of CUPS should include their own PS driver
for Windows, such that adobe files won't be needed anymore. Note also
that I wrote a few month ago to adobe to ask them if I could provide
a simple package containing all the required files, but never got an
answer.

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM
This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential
information.  It is intended solely for the intended addressee(s).
Any use of the information contained herein by other persons is
prohibited.  IMEC vzw does not accept any liability for the contents
of this e-mail and/or its attachments.