FW: Correction: Re: lycoris desktop/lx and hp printers

Till Kamppeter kde-print@mail.kde.org
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:33:56 +0100

With KUPS you probably mean the KDE Printing Manager
(http://printing.kde.org/). It is a bug in KDE Print that a field which
is not intended to be human-consumable is used for building the GUI
presentation of the data. The field used for sorting the PPDs by
manufacturer is the "*Manufacturer" field of the PPD files. According to
Adobe's PPD specification this is the manufacturer's name how the
printyer reports it back when scanning the ports (parallel, USB) for
printers. So this name is not necssarily equal for all printers of one
manufacturer, especially not for HP, but also not for Kyocera ("Kyocera"
and "Kyocera-Mita"). A possibility is to take a human-consumable item,
as the "*NickName" and take the first work of it as the manufacturer's
name, but this is also not 100% reliable. So one will probably need a
table of manufacturer names containing all known variants of them.

I am CCing this to the KDE Print mailing list to report this problem to
the developers of KDE print.

     Till