KDE Print font size problem

Jan Elders jrme at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 11 22:41:09 CEST 2003

On Monday 11 August 2003 09:30, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> Jan Elders wrote:
> > Hello,
> > When printing an e-mail via KMail, then the printed output has a large
> > font, although I have specified in the KMail settings :
> > Printing output font = Arial 6
> > On paper however it is something like 12 or 14 !
> > Whatever I change in the Printing Output settings for KMail, the output
> > size remains unchanged. Surprisingly, changes in fonttype are effectuated
> > but the size always remains the same unwanted large size.
> > Same problem with printing Konqueror data.
> >
> > However, output from e.g. KWrite and KEdit is exactly according to my
> > specified fontsize.
> >
> > I'm using KDE 3.1.3 and KMail 1.5.3 with SuSE Professional 8.2
> >
> > I have seen similar problems posted on various places on the Internet ,
> > but nowhere answers/solutions.
> >
> > Can anybody help, please ?
>
> KMail and Konqueror uses the same khtml component. KDEPrint is not
> responsible of the print content itseld, so you should ask the
> khtml developers (or file a bug report for khtml).
> Michael.

Eh, how and where should I be able to do that ?
I have only found some brief mentioning of KHTML (e.g. at
http://www.konqueror.org/features/browser.php), but no address to send
something to.  ;-(

Moreover, I did expect to get some help from the collective wisdom of the
kde-print community.
As I said before, I have seen similar problems posted on various places on the
Internet, but nowhere answers/solutions.
I suspect that it isn't really a bug, but a sporadically occurring conflict in
some settings/configs somewhere. But where ??

By-the-way, what is even more puzzling is that I have a similar installation
on another machine, where I do NOT have this problem.
I have extensively searched for differences, but could not locate any.

Also, just for information, I'm using LPRng (also on the correctly performing
machine) and no, I cannot change to CUPS because of other requirements in my
infrastructure.
Moreover, last week somebody mentioned in the suse-linux-e-help list server
discussion thread (where I posted this problem earlier) that he was having
exactly the same problem while using CUPS, so that doesn't seem to make any
difference.

Based upon advice in the suse-linux-e-help list server, I have already tried
without succes several things such as :
1.
Close down Kmail, and load the kmail config file -- .kde/share/config/kmailrc
-- into your favourite editor. Try deleting the line that begins print-font.
Start Kmail again.
--> This madeno difference !
2.
In File->Print->Properties have you checked the entries in the Driver
Settings and Filter tabs? Maybe the postscript output is going through some
filtering... On my system I have nothing in the filters...
--> I also have nothing there.
3.
Under System Options on the Fonts page, I have 'Embed fonts in
Postscript data when printing' selected. Dunno if this has any bearing on
things.
--> I have the same selection.
4.
Rename the ~/.kde directory to something like ~/.kde-backup, and let KDE build
a new one with default settings. Then try printing from Kmail. Maybe there's
a wayward setting somewhere. Then try copying back the config files for apps
that you use and have customised....
--> I did this with hope in my heart, but after restart KDE with the new built
~/.kde ................... I still had exactly the same font problem.
5.
Maybe there is something screwy in the /opt/kde3/ tree. Perhaps there's
something sticking in /tmp. Outside of KDE try deleting all the kde-<user>,
mcop-<user>, ksocket-<user> directories from /tmp/ and socket-<*> and tmp-<*>
links in ~/.kde/   In the past when I've had strange things happening with
KDE, clearing these have helped...
--> But not for me. I did this, but still the same problem.

Again, I was hoping that the collective wisdom of the kde-print community
could give me (and some other people suffering from this mystery) advice, or
even better : a solution.

Greetings,
--
Jan Elders